Fortunately, novices are more susceptible to design fixation than old hands, studies show.
How can you free yourself?
Jami Oetting, writing for Hubspot, suggests five antidotes:
- Immerse yourself in new subjects. Escape your marketing bubble and reach for far-afield ideas. Learn a little about voles, snow-sports, fire protection, Washington Irving, and Czarist Russia.
- Work with others. Diversity in experiences, expertise and cultural background and can stimulate fresh thinking.
- Review previous solutions. Peer reviews will expose biases and flaws faster than anything. They force you to look at your ideas with iron-cold eyes.
- Analyze and brainstorm. Generating more ideas helps assure an innovative one will emerge.
- Test. Gather feedback from focus groups and A/B experiments.