A clear case of the "dangling" modifier.
A modifier dangles when it isn't pinned to the noun it's supposed to describe.
When Groucho dangles a modifier, audiences laugh ("I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.").
When an unwitting writer does it, audiences scratch their heads:
- Before rebooting the computer, the power should be turned off.
- The employees were told they had been fired by HR.
- By inserting keywords into the text, statistics show that SEO improves.
- Though only 14 years old, the company made Han a developer.
- Having driven 20 years without an accident, the CEO welcomed Ruth onto the stage to receive the award.