Any message that can go wrong will.
- Turn long sentences into two or three shorter ones.
- Chop big blocks of text into separate paragraphs.
- Use connectors—words like although, but and because—to join ideas together.
- Avoid pronouns—words like it, we, they and this. Use pronouns sparingly and you won't write a sentence like: Advise customers they are guaranteed to work 24/7 when we upgrade our servers.
- Be careful with directions—words like about, before, on and over—and you won't write a sentence like: Before lunch with the client we should hash out next year's price increases.