Marketers are highly susceptible to bias. Some forms—racial bias, for example—are easy to detect in their work (just watch the holiday spot from Securus); some forms are less so.
Generational bias is one of the latter—and a "silent killer" of customer conversion.
Pop theorists are the guilty party. While they underscore generational differences, scientists do not. Pop theorists would have you believe:
- All Traditionalists are patriots who value only self-sacrifice.
- All Boomers are optimists who value only wealth.
- All GenXers are pessimists who value only ecotourism.
- All Millennials are narcissists who value only praise.
- All GenZers are entrepreneurs who value only... well, who knows?
- Claims of generational differences are based on faulty studies—always.
- There are no practical generational differences.